In keeping with our mission, we strive to make our programs accessible to children from all walks of life. We provide more than $400,000 in need-based financial aid to Camp Chewonki participants each year, on a first-come first-serve basis. (We encourage you to apply early!)
Parents are asked to submit financial information to a nationally recognized third-party service, School and Student Services, and they provide us with a fair and independent assessment of what a family can afford to contribute to summer camp tuition
Financial aid awards range from a few hundred dollars to nearly the complete cost of the program. The amount is determined by need, the assessment, and Chewonki’s available financial aid funds.
School and Student Services have been processing financial aid applications for camps and independent schools for decades, and their service is secure and confidential. Your information is never shared with third parties.
How It Works:
IMPORTANT: A completed Camp Registration/Agreement Form, director approval of enrollment and a non-refundable $100 deposit are required to reserve each program space.
- Complete an online enrollment application for Camp Chewonki and indicate on the camp application that you intend to apply for financial aid.
- Once the program director has approved your child(ren) for enrollment, you will be notified and sent a link to School and Student Services (SSS).
- You need to complete and submit a Parents’ Financial Statement (PFS) along with required tax documents and a $51 processing fee. You will give SSS permission to analyze your financial information. In rare instances, for those families with the greatest need, SSS will automatically apply an application fee waiver. The SSS fee waiver (if applicable) will appear at the moment you need to provide your credit card information.
- SSS reviews your family income, assets, expenses, and liabilities to determine an objective estimate of the amount your family can likely contribute to summer program expenses.
- The same PFS can be used for all the children in your family and for any number of summer programs or independent schools, for the single $51 fee.
- SSS creates a private report called the Estimate of Family Contribution (EFC). This report provides Chewonki with a summary of your financial details but does not determine the size of your financial aid award.
- Chewonki’s financial aid committee reviews your application and the EFC, and determines an award based on the combination of our financial aid budget, your demonstrated need, and any extenuating circumstances outlined in your application.
- Families are notified of their aid award status on a rolling basis.
- Chewonki will send you the financial aid application link when your child is approved for enrollment.
- Families are notified of their aid award status on a rolling basis. Starting this year, we will be processing applications beginning in September. (Historically, we began reviewing February 1.)
- Requests for financial aid usually exceed the amount of funds available, therefore we cannot guarantee financial aid to all who apply.
- In the case of full financial need, our maximum award requires a minimum contribution from the family of $400 per camp participant.
- Fill out the PFS form as completely and accurately as possible. Indicate that you are applying for financial aid for Chewonki Summer 2020-2021 programs.
- You will need to upload your most recent tax return and W-2s. Parents who live in separate households are both required to separately complete the PFS form. (Please note it is assumed that a child is supported by both parents, and financial information must be provided accordingly. If this is not possible, please contact us.)
- You can begin the PFS at any time once you’ve received notice from Chewonki that your child/children is/are enrolled. You don’t have to complete the PFS in one sitting; you can save your work and come back to the application multiple times prior to completing and submitting to SSS.
Please contact Leslie Hunter in the camp office at firstname.lastname@example.org or 207-882-7323, extension 104, with any questions.