We want preparing for a Chewonki summer to be as easy as possible. We have lots of experience; call or email us with any questions. Laundry is done twice a week. This time-tested list provides enough clothing for the boys from one laundry cycle to the next.
- Chewonki shirts, and most of the items on the packing list, can be ordered from Summer Camp Supply.
- An outdoor store can also help with specialized gear.
- Please mark everything with either nametags or a name stamp. Make sure the name can be easily recognized.
- Trunks and duffel bags may be shipped to Chewonki prior to the session. Shipped items should not arrive more than two weeks prior to the start of the session. Return shipping is available domestically with prior notification.
- 6 Chewonki logo’d shirts (t-shirts or polos). At least one should be white and another should be a Chewonki synthetic (tech) shirt.
- 5 shorts
- 1 pair long pants
- 1 pair nylon athletic/hiking pants
- 8 underwear
- 8 pairs of athletic socks
- 2 pairs of wool socks
- 1 polyester fleece jacket/pullover or wool sweater
- 1 rain jacket
- 1 pair rain pants
- 1 sweatshirt
- 1 lightweight long underwear, top (polyester or wool)
- 1 lightweight long underwear, bottom (polyester or wool)
- 1 swimsuit
- 1 swim shirt for sun protection, long or short sleeve
- 1 wide brim sun hat
- 1 warm hat, wool or fleece
- 2 pajamas
- 2 pairs of running/athletic shoes
- 1 pair of water shoes: sandals, neoprene shoes/booties, Keens
Bedding & Linens:
*A sleeping bag may not be used in lieu of bed linens.
- 2 blankets
- 2 pillow cases
- 1 pillow
- 2 twin fitted sheets
- 2 twin top sheets
- 3 towels
- 2 wash cloths
- 1 beach towel
- Toiletries: toothbrush, toothpaste, floss, nail clippers, shampoo, soap, comb/brush, SPF 30 sunscreen–packed in an easy to transport container.
- 1 headlamp or flashlight and extra batteries
- 2 – 1 liter water bottles
- 1 insect repellent (type is your preference)
- 1 sunglasses with neck cord
- Stationery and stamps
- Summer reading books
- Binoculars & birding field guide for returning campers
- Day pack
- Athletic equipment – tennis racquet, lacrosse stick, baseball glove, soccer shin guards
- Musical instruments
- Playing cards
- Crazy CreekTM folding chair
- Flip-flops for showering
Wilderness Trip Equipment:
All campers take part in both overnight and longer wilderness trips with their cabin groups. We recommend investing in a good sleeping bag. More experienced campers may also want to invest in a backpack and/or drybag. They will come in handy, depending upon what wilderness trip their cabin takes. Use these guidelines if you plan to purchase equipment.
- Sleeping bag: Tapered, synthetic fill 3-season bag rated to 20 degrees.
- Sleeping pad: closed cell ensolite foam, (i.e.Therma-RestTM Ridge-RestTM).
- Waterproof dry bag: Approx. 90 liters or 5000 cubic inch capacity.
- Internal frame Backpack: Approx. 90 liters or 5000 cubic inch capacity.
Our puffins, owls and herons may borrow the above equipment items. We will contact you in the spring with a questionnaire to determine your needs.