Day in the Life for Boys
From Morning Meal to Evenings at the Cabin
Our daily schedule provides rhythm and routine, but with cabin trips and special days, there are many “special” days that break the mold. Here is a sample schedule for a day at camp:
Regular Daily Schedule
- 7:00 am Bell: Wake up, pull on your Chewonki T-shirt, and wash your hands before breakfast.
- 7:20 am Bell: Line-ups – Form a line outside your cabin before walking to the dining hall together.
- 7:30 am Breakfast: Fuel up for the day with homemade granola, pancakes, and fresh fruit.
- 8:20 am Cabin Clean-up: Make your bed, tidy your shelves, and help sweep the cabin for Inspection.
- 8:50 am Bell: Cabin Inspection – If your cabin is clean and you worked together, you could earn your inspection plaque.
- 9:20 am Bell: First Activity Period
- Sample Activity: Farm – plant, harvest, weed, work with the livestock, and enjoy stories in the hayloft. You can work toward getting a Master Farmer badge!
- 10:40 am Bell: Second Activity Period
- Sample Activity: Kayaking – learn the basics of equipment, safety, strokes, and work up to a wet exit.
- 12:00 pm Bell: Appetizer – Time to wash your hands and head back to your cabin before Lunch.
- 12:20 pm Bell: Line-ups
- 12:30 pm Lunch: Enjoy barbecue chicken, freshly baked bread, and a healthy salad with vegetables from Saltmarsh Farm.
- 1:30 pm Rest Hour: Take a breath before your busy afternoon! Write a letter home, read a book, reapply sunscreen.
- 2:30 pm Bell: Afternoon Activity Period
- Sample Activity: Nature – Waterfront Fishes: Net and trap some of the fishes (and other marine life) you swim with every day at the Chewonki Waterfront with Doc Fred.
- 4:00 pm Bell: General Swim – Join a pick-up game of soccer, shoot for your Yeoman badge at the archery range, play chess with a counselor, rehearse a skit for Saturday night’s campfire.
- 5:30 pm Bell: Appetizer
- 5:50 pm Bell: Line-ups
- 6:00 pm Dinner: Campers and counselors reflect on their day together, sharing grilled cheese and tomato soup with homemade cookies and farm milk for dessert.
- 7:15 pm Evening Activity
- Sample Activity: Choice Night: Grab your towel and head down to the waterfront for an evening float, visit the wildlife center to learn about nocturnal creatures, play a game of dodgeball on the tennis courts.
- 8:20 pm Minutes – Brush your teeth and put on your pajamas. Can you be in bed before the counselors complete the countdown to “Lights Out”?
- 8:30 pm Lower Field Lights Out and Goodnight
- 9:00 pm Osprey Lights Out and Goodnight